HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing employment support.
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer high quality independent Employment Advice free to member organisations including:
- Terms and Conditions for local government staff and school staff including teachers
- Day to day problematic employee relations
We also provide consultancy (at discounted rates to member organisations) on:
- Recruitment and Workforce Development including suport via pyschometric testing and 360° appraisal
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary and Grievance Investigations
- Pre-Tribunal Conciliation
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded Leaflet.
Epaycheck: National Pay Benchmarking Service
A secure pay benchmarking facility, developed for the public sector by the public sector. Launched to local authorities across the country in 2012, the service has already attracted more than half of our councils to register for this data sharing service.
Epaycheck is delivered through a nationwide network of Regional Employers' Organisations who provide the front end service in their localities and actively work with their users to collect, monitor and quality assure the data available to report against.
Senior Pay Executive Summary
The executive summary of a review of chief executive and chief officer roles, released on 4th September, is available on our website. The full report to assist in decision-making, benchmarking, policy development and workforce planning will be available to Epaycheck subscribers shortly.
For more information on Epaycheck .....
Apprenticeships End-Point Assessment
SW Councils is an approved End-Point Assessment Organisation (EPAO) with a focus on effective, efficient, economic and excellent delivery. End-Point Assessment is scheduled and conducted through our online EPA system using recorded conferencing facilities, online tests and uploading of documentary evidence. Apprentices are supported as they progress through the gateway into the final stages of their apprenticeship assessments. Employers are able to monitor their apprentice’s progress at every point during the End-Point Assessment process using the system. Typically our EPA offer is around 13% of the recommended 20% of the standard funding making us an obvious choice to partner your organisation.
Our Learning and Organisational Development team are experienced in large programme delivery including qualifications and development training. We operate in a robust and professional manner, ensuring our customers receive the very best service, delivered at excellent value.
We have a growing catalogue of Apprenticeship Standards that we are approved to deliver EPA for:
We are continually monitoring the approval of new standards to expand our EPA offer.
End-Point Apprenticeship Assessors
As the regional membership organisation for the collective Local Authorities, we have access to a broad workforce employed across each of the councils. We also have a great deal of experience and knowledge of delivering training, assessment and verification practices and external quality assurance. Our aim is to combine our experience with specialists to create a team of Independent Assessors (IAs) across a range of Standards to conduct End-Point Assessment.
- We work with individuals from councils across the region who could make suitable assessors so that we can create a Standard Assessment Team for each Standard we are approved for
- Assessors undergo training and comply with our quality assurance requirements
- They are called on to assess and verify when required
- Assessors contribute to the design and creation of assessment elements, activities and methods
- Assessments are scheduled and conducted through our online EPA system using recorded conferencing facilities, online tests and uploading of documentary evidence
The role of the IA is to conduct assessments in line with our approach for each Standard which reflects the associated Assessment Plan. End-Point Assessment will be conducted remotely on agreed dates. IAs will record and submit the EPA outcomes, with clear justifications for the grading decisions. EPA outcomes will be internally quality assured and externally quality assured.
The IA will:
- Take part in regular training and standardisation activities
- Maintain and provide evidence of ongoing and relevant CPD
- Assess the performance of candidates in accordance with the Assessment Plan and our assessment criteria and procedures
- Report all risks and issues encountered including suspected malpractice and maladministration
- Ensure EPA reports and assessment evidence are recorded accurately
- Support us with appeals regarding assessment decisions
- Notify us of any conflict of interest
General Background & Experience Requirements
- Experience of assessing competence-based assessments (training can be provided)
- Hold (or be committed to working towards) an assessor qualification (most EPAs are asking for qualified assessors but this isn’t in the Aps)
- Experience of making grading/performance judgements
- Knowledge of prevent and safeguarding (training can be provided)
- Have a current DBS (will we is this necessary)
- Current experience of working within the EPA specialism for a minimum of two years
- Evidence of regular and ongoing CPD in the EPA specialism
- Some Standards require assessors to hold specific qualifications
- Some Standards require assessors to have membership of a relevant professional body
For more details and to register your interest as an Independent Assessor, email email@example.com.