Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- Sep 2, Welfare Reform
- Sep 8, Management of Volunteers
- Sep 9, Facilitation Skills
- Sep 16, Corporate Manslaughter
- Sep 16, Bribery Act
- Sep 23, Association for Coaching CPD Workshop: The Motivate Coaching Framework
- Sep 29, Association for Coaching CPD: The Five-Minute Coach - Supercharge Your Coaching
- Sep 30, Coaching & Mentoring
- Oct 6, Pension Administration
- Oct 7, Annual PA and Executive Assistants Conference 2014
- Oct 8, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Oct 20, Bringing Money into Your Ward
- Oct 24, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Nov 4, Coaching Master Classes Day
- Nov 6, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Nov 12, Legal Aspects & EU Procurement
- Nov 18, Pension Managers' Conference
- Nov 24, Community Budgeting for Councillors
- Nov 24, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Dec 3, Introduction to Team Coaching
- Dec 11, Mentoring/Coaching
- Dec 17, Business Case & Specification Writing
- Jan 6, Gypsy & Traveller Communities
- Jan 6, Professional Award in Management of Accommodation for Gypsies & Travellers
- Jan 7, Managing Traveller Sites
With coaching programmes featuring strongly in organisational strategies and change programmes, we have qualified and experienced coaches, who can provide individual coaching packages but we have also established the South West Coaching Pool to help organisations build internal coaching capacity and to enable managers to access coaches from other partner organisations with a range of different experience and expertise.
For more information click here.
South West Councils: Working for the South West
South West Councils
Bringing together local authority Leaders from the County, Unitary and District councils in the South West
Disclosure Barring Online Service
This Service provides a secure online environment with our partners NEREO, to provide a speedy, economical and high quality DBS service based on absolute accuracy and efficiency that will enhance your safeguarding process.
Online DBS enables organisations with a legitimate requirement to ask individuals to apply for disclosures, to gain access top this information quickly and efficiently.
HR and Employment Services
South West Councils handle thousands of queries every year from local government employers and other Associate member organisations. This means that we have an unrivalled grasp of issues affecting local government at both national and local level.
Because all our team members are professionally qualified experienced specialists, we bring a wealth of expertise to bear on the issues facing Local Authorities.
We work at all levels with both Elected Members and Officers to clarify and resolve confidential personnel issues, as well as providing day-to-day advice on routine HR matters.
An office hours service providing expert advice and support on issues including:
We offer confidential advice on salary levels, terms and conditions, termination agreements. Independent support for Appraisal of Chief Executives. Supporting development of new political arrangements such as Joint Chief Executive and Shared Management Teams.
We offer expert advice on recruitment advertising; salary setting; management of assessment centres; psychometric testing.
Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading Consultancy
We are experts in the use of the national Joint Council (NJC) and greater London Provincial Council (GLPC) job evaluation schemes. We offer specific training, independent technical advice and best practice associated with local government pay and grading reviews.
We offer independent investigations, advising at disciplinary or grievance hearings and representing employers at Employment Tribunals.
We offer a mediation service to aid the resolution of complex issues. We can also support authorities to design and implement an in-house mediation strategy.
National Pay and Pensions Negotiations
South West Councils represent the South West on the National Association of Regional Employers, who role is to act as a sounding board and conduit for the Local Government Employers on national pay and pensions issues.
South West Councils also forms the Employers' side of the Regional Joint Consultative and Negotiating Body, the South West Provincial Council.
Policy Development and Review
We offer a service to create new policies or assess existing policies to ensure compliance and currency.
Conferences, Events and Networks
We offer a range of topical conferences, events and networks to meet the changing needs of the local government community and promote the sharing of good practice.