Hong Kong BN(O) Welcome Programme: for local authority officers, community and voluntary sector organisations, and community groups

People from Hong Kong and a British national (Overseas) are now able to apply for a British National (overseas) visa. This is known as a BNO visa which allows them to live, work and study in the UK. This can be for a period of 30 months (which can be extended by a further 30 months) or a period of 5 years. They can apply from outside or inside the UK (apply for settlement) and apply for British Citizenship 12 months after settlement.

You can find more information about applying for the visa on the Government webpages.

The Government have produced an online Welcome Pack for all BN(O) status holders with information, translated into Cantonese, on how to access services and understand life in the UK.

In addition, the Government has announced that it is going to provide funding for  local authorities and regional Strategic Migration Partnerships to support new arrivals from Hong Kong. The regional Strategic Migration Partnerships cover the following areas and their contact details can be obtained by clicking on the relevant link.

Here in the South West, we cover the geographical county areas of the Isle of Scilly, Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Bristol, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire. Within this area, there are 33 county, unitary and district councils – see our map to find the council that covers your area.

If you are interested in supporting our endeavours with the settlement of BN(O)’s from Hong Kong in any way, you can contact us at:

Dennett House
11 Middle Street

(Please note our offices currently only have skeleton cover due to Covid -19 so it is best to ring or email.)

On: 01823 270101 and or HongKongBNO@swcouncils.gov.uk

Thank you for uploading the document to the South West Councils website