Hong Kong BN(O) Welcome Programme: for Individuals/Families/Applicants
If you are from Hong Kong and a British National (Overseas) you and your family members can apply for a British National (overseas) visa. This is known as a BNO visa. It allows you to live, work and study in the UK.
You are able to apply to enter or stay in the UK for a period of 30 months (which you can extend by a further 30 months) or a period of 5 years. You are able to apply from outside or inside the UK. If you are already in the county – welcome.
You can find more information about applying for the visa on the Government webpages.
The Government has also produced an online Welcome Pack for all BN(O) status holders with information, translated into Cantonese, on how to access services and understand life in the UK.
Below are some resources that may be useful to you as a new arrival from Hong Kong to the UK. Please check carefully to make sure these are relevant to you and what you need and please seek further help and advice if you are not sure.
We have prioritised resources that are available in Traditional Chinese, however many resources are only accessible in English or Simplified Chinese at the moment.
Bank accounts: getting started (Refugee Council): available in English.
Citizens Advice Bureau have information about rights and responsibilities here in English which can be translated into traditional and simplified Chinese on line via Google. You can You can now apply for a National Insurance (NI) number online. You need a NI number for work in the UK, although you can start work without it, if you can show your employer that you have the right to work through other means.
- Help with NHS costs (NHS Business Services Authority): available in English, 繁體中文 and 简体中文.
- Migrants’ Rights to Healthcare (Doctors of the World): available in English and 简体中文.
- COVID-19 information (Doctors of the World): available in English, 繁體中文 and 简体中文.
- COVID-19 information (World Health Organisation): available in English and 简体中文.
- Information video on Covid Tests (Doctors of the World): available in English and 繁體中文.
- Cancer symptoms, diagnosis and treatment (Macmillan Cancer Support): available in English and 繁體中文.
- Six ways to improve your wellbeing (Doctors of the World): available in English, 繁體中文 and 简体中文.
- “My Hero is You” children’s book about COVID-19 pandemic (Interagency Standing Committee): available in English, 繁體中文 and 简体中文.
- Action for Happiness Calendar (February 2021): available in English, 繁體中文 and 简体中文.
- Mental Health advice (Royal College of Psychiatrists): available in English, 繁體中文 and 简体中文.
- Mental Health information (Embrace Multicultural Mental Health): available in English, 繁體中文 and 简体中文.
- Hong Kong Nursing Association UK – 英國香港護士協會 (hknauk.org)
Family, Education and Learning
- Helping children learn: guidance for parents (Bell Foundation): available in English and 简体中文.
- About the English Education System – Primary Schools (Bell Foundation): available in English and 简体中文.
- About the English Education System – Secondary Schools (Bell Foundation): available in English and 简体中文.
In addition, the Government has announced that it is going to provide funding for local authorities and regional Strategic Migration Partnerships to support new arrivals. The regional Strategic Migration Partnerships cover the following areas and their contact details can be obtained by clicking on the relevant link.
Here in the South West, we cover the geographical county areas of the Isle of Scilly, Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Bristol, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire. Within this area, there are 33 county, unitary and district councils – see our map to find the council that covers the area where you live if it is in the South West.
Local authorities and regional Strategic Migration Partnerships
- East of England Strategic Migration Partnership
- East Midlands Strategic Migration Partnership (EMSMP)
- London Strategic Migration Partnership (LSMP)
- North East Migration Partnership (NEMP)
- Northern Ireland Strategic Migration Partnership (NISMP)
- COSLA Strategic Migration Partnership (CSMP) – Scotland.
- South East Strategic Partnership for Migration (SESPM)
- South West Strategic Migration Partnership
- Wales Strategic Migration Partnership (WSMP)
- West Midlands Strategic Migration Partnership (WMSMP)
- Migration Yorkshire
If you need any assistance at this time, please contact us at:
11 Middle Street
(Please note our offices currently only have skeleton cover due to Covid -19 so it is best to ring or email.)
On: 01823 270101 and or firstname.lastname@example.org