UKHSA Infection Prevention and Control and Winter Readiness Toolkit
for Care Homes and other Residential Care Settings
Welcome to the Care Settings Infection Protection and Control and Winter Readiness Toolkit, from the UK Health Security Agency South West (UKHSA SW), hosted by South West Councils.
Our tool kit is designed to help managers and staff in care homes and other residential care settings with planning and preparation for infections and outbreaks (that are often particularly frequent during the winter season), and in outbreak recognition and management.
We provide links to important national guidance plus some quick-reference locally developed resources, designed to be used as needed for your setting, by staff, residents, relatives and visitors.
Winter Readiness – Prevention – Keeping Infections out
- Adult social care: guidance – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) includes:
- Guidance on Infection Prevention and Control in Adults Social Care settings
- The Acute Respiratory Infection supplement to the IPC guidance
- Guidance on PPE
- Health and Wellbeing of the workforce
Are you ready for winter?
Find out with our self-assessment checklists for flu/Covid-19 and gastroenteritis:
- Winter Preparedness Checklist for COVID-19 and Influenza
- UKHSASW care home planning checklist for norovirus season
- “Catch it, Bin it, Kill it” poster
- Hand hygiene poster WHO
- Link to Campaign Resource Centre
- How to wash hands poster -Best Practice NHS/UKHSA
Are you considering admitting a resident with an infection?
Our risk assessment guide will help you to determine how to manage this.
More details on how to prevent Acute Respiratory Infections are available in UKHSA SW’s Information Card 1:
The “Care Home Pack”: Infection Prevention and Control – An outbreak information pack for care homes
Acute Respiratory Infection (COVID-19, Flu or other ARI) - Report an Outbreak
Click on the link to report your outbreak: Care Outbreak Risk Assessment Tool (Care OBRA)
This is for reporting single cases of flu and NEW outbreaks of acute respiratory infection only
Please do not use this link for updating UKHSA on an existing ARI outbreak or for reporting any other type of outbreak – see below for contact details for the SW HPT for reporting other infections and outbreaks.
Acute Respiratory Infections (COVID-19, Flu or other ARI) - Resources
UKHSA SW have developed a set of checklists of actions that care settings are advised to undertake when faced with single cases (in residents or staff) of Flu or COVID-19 and for outbreaks of Flu, COVID-19 or any unidentified acute respiratory infection. This should be a key reference document that is familiar to all senior carers and managers.
- Checklist of Actions for Acute Respiratory Infections in Care Settings
- Quick-Guide-to-Flu-COVID-19-for-Care-Providers – This is a shortened version of the ‘Checklist’ above and could be used to display to all your staff
UKHSA SW have also developed a set of Information Cards to explain the rationale behind the recommendations in the checklists, and includes how to risk assess new admissions and visiting in periods of outbreak.
- Information Card 1: Prevention of Acute Respiratory Infections
- Information Card 3: Outbreak Management of Acute Respiratory Infections (ARIs-including COVID-19 and Influenza)
- Information Card 4_risk assessment _admissions
- Information Card 5 risk assessment visiting
Group A Streptococcal Infections
New admissions in the context of infections
If you are considering admitting a resident with an infection or are considering an admission of a new resident whilst in a period of outbreak, the following documents may assist you in the risk assessment
When and how to contact the UKHSA Health Protection Team
Tel: 0300 303 8162 (lines open 24/7)
Email (monitored only during standard working hours): firstname.lastname@example.org (do not include patient identifiable information)
You may wish to display the following posters in your care setting
Are you wondering what HPT stands for, or what the ICB do? If so, have a look in the Glossary.
What do you think of our Toolkit?
Are we hitting the mark? Please let us know how useful this toolkit is by emailing email@example.com
Need any more information or advice on outbreaks?
If you can’t find what you need online, and think that we might know the answer, Contact the UKHSA HealthProtection Team on:
Email SWHPT@ukhsa.gov.uk (standard working hours only)
Telephone (for urgent queries 24/7): 0300 303 8162.