UKHSA Infection Prevention and Control and Winter Readiness Toolkit
for Early Years and Education Settings
Welcome to the Early Years and Education Settings Winter Readiness site, from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) – South-West Health Protection Team.
Our toolkit is designed to help early years and education settings with planning and preparation for winter infections and outbreaks, and in outbreak investigation and management.
The resources are quick-reference documents, designed to be used as needed for your setting.
The toolkit complements the national guidance documents on the Gov.uk website for Group A Streptococcus (GAS), respiratory infections, influenza and viral gastroenteritis. In addition, there are a wealth of other resources and links on the web sites of the various professional health and social care organisations.
Keeping infections out of your early years and education setting
Resources for dealing with infections in your early years and education settings
- Health protection in schools and other childcare facilities: This is the national UKHSA Guidance on managing common infectious diseases in schools and other childcare settings. This national guidance now incorporates what was previously the SW Spotty Book.
- Respiratory outbreak action card: A checklist of what to do for outbreaks of respiratory illness (including COVID-19 and Influenza/flu)
- UKHSA recorded presentation on managing Group A Strep in your setting
- Vaccine knowledge project
- Diarrhoea and vomiting outbreak action card: A checklist of what to do for D&V outbreaks in your setting.
- Exclusions: This advises on the time period that a child needs to be excluded from school if they have an infectious condition.
- e-bug: Gives lesson plans for primary and secondary schools on infection prevention & control and antibiotic resistance.
- Health Protection in Education and Early Years settings Webinar – a half termly webinar provided by UKHSA South West Health Protection Team about infectious disease management within early years and education settings.
Posters and Leaflets relevant for early years and education establishments
- “Catch it, Bin it, Kill it” poster
- Hand hygiene poster
- NHS hand hygiene poster
- “Stop norovirus spreading this winter” leaflet
- Managing infectious diseases poster
- How long should you keep your child off school poster
- UKHSA summer asset pack for stakeholders 2023
- UKHSA Hot Weather communications toolkit – June 2023
- See also UKSHA Campaign Resource Centre
Are you wondering what HPT stands for, or what the CCG do? If so, have a look in the Glossary.
What do you think of our Toolkit?
Are we hitting the mark? Please let us know how useful this toolkit is by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Need any more information or advice?
If you can’t find what you need online, and think that we might know the answer, email email@example.com. This is for non-urgent enquiries. If we don’t know the answer, we may know someone else who does.